October 1, 2014 Compliance Date
All organizations covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) will be required to use the updated code set, ICD-10, for all diagnosis reporting and inpatient procedure reporting on claims starting October 1, 2014.
The updated code set is anticipated to:
- Allow for greater specificity
- Include more clinical information and updated terminology
- Improve ability to measure health care services
- Increase in sensitivity when refining grouping and reimbursement methodologies
- Decrease the need to include supporting documentation with claims.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) is committed to ensuring that our systems, business processes, and policy changes are completed to meet the ICD-10 implementation standards and deadlines, and to comply with the federal requirement. We have completed both a business and IT assessment of the ICD-10 mandate, and have developed business requirements related to impacted processes and systems—including the APR-DRG grouper.
- ICD-10 on Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS.gov)
CMS defines the standards for ICD-10 and provides a number of quality resources to learn about the ICD-10 Mandate.
- CMS ICD-10 Resources for Providers
A very helpful set of Frequently Asked Questions and documents that outline what providers should be thinking about as they plan for their ICD-10 implementations.
- CMS ICD-10 Implementation Timelines
A set of helpful timeline guides for Providers and Payers to assist in ICD-10 implementation planning.
- The ICD-10 Project at the Massachusetts Health Data Consortium (MHDC)
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts along with many other
payers and providers in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have agreed to leverage the MHDC to collaborate on ICD-10 implementation strategies and common activities such as
testing and mapping. The MHDC Collaborative is open to anyone in the healthcare space and BCBSMA encourages providers to contact the MHDC to see how they can participate in the ICD-10 discussions that are actively occurring.
- ICD-10 at the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA)
- ICD-10 Playbook at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
The HIMSS ICD-10 PlayBook provides critical information to assist hospitals, ambulatory centers, practitioners, and their staff in transitioning to ICD-10.
- ICD-10 at the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI)
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- ICD-10 Free Webinar Training Series at Availity
Email your questions to ICD10Program@bcbsma.com